Thursday, August 20, 2009

Some useless trivia

Some useless trivia I came across the other day. Thought I would share it with y'all.

What is a KNOT?

A knot is equivalent to 1.5 land miles per hour. The term arose from the original seafaring practice of measuring speed. A line with equally spaced knots was reeled over the stern. The number of knots reeled into the water in one minute was then counted.

The difference between a house and a home:

A house is a dwelling, a structure in which people live. A home is the basis, the essence of family life. It connotes warmth, love, security. A house is salable, not a home. Selling a home is like selling love. It can't be bought.

I had to chuckle when I read about the house/home. I had always intuitively felt this difference but thought maybe I was nuts for thinking it. Now I know that there is a difference.

No comments: