Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Job Search 2

This is the second of two job possibilities I came across whilst searching CareerBuilders.com--"CUSTOMER SERVICE Local Co. for 72 year old international Company is expanding in the area. NO EXP!! WE TRAIN!! PT - $800.00 FT - $2,000.00 Please apply http://www.airflowjobs.com." (Taken directly from CareerBuilders.com under the "description" heading)

The following is taken directly from http://www.airflowjobs.com, "ABOUT US--Airflow Inc. has been in business since 1996..." I'm a bit confused, which is it? Also, according to the BBB "Original Business Start Date: September 2008." Why such conflicting information?

On their site the following information was found:

  • ...now expanding, and we are actively seeking applicants to fill several positions
  • ...competitive compensation package which includes generous performance-based bonuses
  • due to our rapid growth, opportunity for advancement can often take place within just a few months
  • ...application
  • Qualified candidates will be contacted within 24 hours for a personal interview
  • Many entry-level positions are available with full training provided--No experience necessary
  • We are actively seeking qualified individuals to fulfill a variety of positions--Comprehensive training is provided
Also listed on their site, what appears to be three "positions" with various pay scales:
  • 10-40 Hours Per Week - Compensation: $16.36 per Hr
  • 20-40 Hours Per Week - Compensation: $300 to $1,299 per Week
  • 40+ Hours Per Week - Compensation: $600 to $1,600 per Week
At first glance this doesn't appear to be a bad offer, but I need more information. What does the job entail? What are the expectations of job performance? Are there quotas to reach? How is pay determined? Is company policy clearly written and followed? What type of training is provided, and is it paid? What type of product do you endorse/sell? Those are just a few that come to mind as I write this.

Some other questions that came to mind: Who will be paying me? How often will I be paid? What exactly will I be doing? Is this contract-based or permanent work? Where is your company's physical location? Does company operate under any other names? What is the total cost for me to participate in this program? What is your company's privacy policy?

I did another simple Google search showed that Airflow is also a "legitimate" company with a product to offer BUT I did find one negative mentioned at ripoffreport.com Airflow, Rainbow, Vacuum, Air Purification System, Job Scam - They Rip Off Employees! Wichita Kansas. There were no other comments posted, and this post was dated within the last nine months.

Two points I came across while doing some reading that I need to keep in mind:

  1. Insist on a Face-to-Face Meeting
  2. Do Your Research--Better Business Bureau, state's Attorney General, etc.--most fraudulent companies will not go through the work of filling out the paperwork and registering with the appropriate organizations.
For now I am going to give this company a green light to apply to. Depending on what I find as for bus service I may try it on a part-time basis. I will need to print my resume and write another cover letter.

No comments: