Planning a trip home to Buffalo. This will be the first time that both my brother and I will be home together for the holiday in over 7 years. I haven't seen my niece and nephew in quite a while so it hopefully will be a nice 2 days. With my mum's ill health recently I think it's important for the family to be together, even if briefly.
Compared to a few days ago, I am feeling much calmer about my financials. Al tho I am not overly thrilled, I believe that I have a decent plan to cope. I just have to stick to my budget. The inspiration I receive from reading other blogs will definitely help in this area.
A few things I am am going to try in the new year:
- complete tracking of all expenditures, including play money
- explore the concept of stockpiling and adapt it to our limited living space
- once again try to grow some of our own food (hopefully I wont grow weeds this year)
- learn more about edible wild foods, especially in my own backyard
- learn to can and maybe make homemade jams
- utilize the free apples in my yard--applesauce & apple butter
- go and pick wild raspberries, blueberries, and black raspberries
- learn to make homemade yogurt--have recently found a recipe that I want to try
- explore making quark cheese--the same blog that has the yogurt recipe also talks about this cheese which sounds really interesting (will mention blog in a later post)