Monday, December 22, 2008

This and That

Now that the harry scary of shopping is done, I just have a few odds and ends to pick up for stocking stuffers. Party food is ready to go minus one item. All-and-all, my shopping is done. All that is left is wrapping (YUCK!!), food prep, and cleaning. Compared to the last few year I'm done early.

Planning a trip home to Buffalo. This will be the first time that both my brother and I will be home together for the holiday in over 7 years. I haven't seen my niece and nephew in quite a while so it hopefully will be a nice 2 days. With my mum's ill health recently I think it's important for the family to be together, even if briefly.

Compared to a few days ago, I am feeling much calmer about my financials. Al tho I am not overly thrilled, I believe that I have a decent plan to cope. I just have to stick to my budget. The inspiration I receive from reading other blogs will definitely help in this area.

A few things I am am going to try in the new year:

  • complete tracking of all expenditures, including play money
  • explore the concept of stockpiling and adapt it to our limited living space
  • once again try to grow some of our own food (hopefully I wont grow weeds this year)
  • learn more about edible wild foods, especially in my own backyard
  • learn to can and maybe make homemade jams
  • utilize the free apples in my yard--applesauce & apple butter
  • go and pick wild raspberries, blueberries, and black raspberries
  • learn to make homemade yogurt--have recently found a recipe that I want to try
  • explore making quark cheese--the same blog that has the yogurt recipe also talks about this cheese which sounds really interesting (will mention blog in a later post)
I am also open for any suggestions y'all may have.

No comments: