Thursday, August 14, 2008

Frugal Cleaning Challenge

Whilst surfing the other night I came across a few web sites that "endorse" the use of homemade cleaning supplies. Altho I have considered this in the past, I never attempted this bit of frugality. So in the spirit of the Olympics I thought a 30 day challenge was in order.

The biggest decision was deciding which cleaning recipes to use. Some of the recipes included ammonia, and some included bleach (ingredients I do not like to use and do not keep in the house). The winner--white distilled vinegar, baking soda and Dawn!! How frugal is that, three ingredients that we all most likely have in our homes.

Listed below are the recipes I will be using. Regretfully I do not remember what site I got these recipes from and I apologize for that. I have been searching the past 2 days to no avail, as soon as I do find the site again I will include the link so proper credit can be given.

UPDATED 9/26/08: WooHoo!! I found the link to the original article. Read the full article Tightwad Tuesday: Homemade Cleaning Products.

WINDOWS-->2c. water--1/4c. white distilled vinegar--1/2tsp. Dawn

FLOORS-->1c. white distilled vinegar--1gal. hot water

***BATH-->1/2c. Dawn--1/2c. white distilled vinegar

TOILETS-->1/4c. baking soda--1/4c. Dawn--1/4c. water

CARPETS-->sprinkle baking soda on rugs, let sit 15 mins, vacuum as normal

***CARPETS (STEAM CLEANING)--Use white distilled as you would your normal cleaner

DRAINS-->1/4c. baking soda--1/2c. distilled white vinegar--flush with boiling water

I am very curious as to how this challenge turns out. We have 2 dogs and 3 cats so a clean house is a constant battle, especially where odor is concerned. From what I have read use of the vinegar and the baking soda should help. Only time will tell.

***Please note: Updated 8/24/08

No comments: