Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Trying to Develop a Price Book

As I read through numerous blogs and other sites concerning frugal living/saving money the one thing that stands out is the use of a price book when grocery shopping. I have a good understanding of the basics behind using a price book, my dilemma comes in as to how to use one.

Here is my situation in regards to shopping (this also holds true for any type of shopping not just food and household supplies.) I live in the middle of nowhere--literally. Closest major city is 3-4 hours away (Pittsburgh and Buffalo) two minor cities are within an hour drive. In my town we have 1 grocery store, a Dollar General, a Rite Aid, and two other locally owned pharmacies; we also have a locally owned butcher.

Within a 30 minute drive we have a Super WalMart and one more grocery store, another butcher, and another Dollar General. For a 60 minute drive you can add two more grocery stores another Walmart and a KMart. Y'all see where I'm going with this, not many options to work with.

So how do I make a price book work for me?

Below are some articles pertaining to price books that have got me to think that I may be able to adapt a conventional price book to my situation.

So for now I will be gathering data, primarily shopping at our local Dollar General and Walmart; I will be attempting to include the other grocery store. Meats I get wholesale through my employer so I only need to deal with household supplies, dairy products, and non-perishable foods.

Wish me luck :))

No comments: