Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Declaring Bankruptcy

It is with regret that I have to write on this topic but I an waving the white flag. My phone starts ringing at 830 AM and does not stop till 9 PM. On average I have 15-18 collection calls per day, all of which go unanswered. The last straw is the situation with my student loans. I take the blame for it all. So today I made the call to set up a consultation. On December 1st I will meet with the lawyer.

I am 44 years old, I make about $26,000 working 72 hrs per week between two jobs. I am over $70,000 in debt (that does not include debts over 7 yrs old). Physically my body is breaking down affecting my ability to continue working two jobs. I do not qualify for social security disability; not an option I would consider. I live in an economically depressed area with low job options (don't we all); county population under 6,000. Moving is not an option at this time, my partner's family is here mine are within a 3 hour drive. I do not spend my money on material things per se, alt ho I have been known to have a manic spending sprees on un-important stuff (I am bipolar and it does affect my ability to handle money, I make poor decisions at times but have been getting better with this.) Overall I am overwhelmed and hanging by a string.

As depressing as this all sounds I am still willing to push on. I have no choice, I alone am responsible for this financial mess. Some days I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, others days, I need a rope. Bankruptcy is my rope.

I know that some people will be disappointed with the path that I am choosing. There are many other variables that factor into this decision; I would need much time to explain it all in a sensible manner. Please realize that I do not make this decision lightly. I do understand the consequences of this choice.

So what does this all mean? To be honest I don't know. My plan is to continue blogging. I find it cathartic. I will posting on the process I have to go through as I feel it would be enlightening, not only for myself but others too. I will continue to learn how to be frugal and save money.

So with that said I will start my journey with open eyes regardless of the outcome. To help me stay focused and organized I will be posting everything concerning the process I have to go through. It may not be the most interesting content but we shall see. I would love to here from others that have been in the same situation. Any insights would be appreciated.

No comments: