Saturday, March 10, 2007

So Simple It's Awesome

I remember years ago my mom making homemade bread and cinnamon rolls. As I got older there was nothing like the feeling of coming home on the holidays to the smell of fresh baked bread. For as long as I can remember I have tried to duplicate the aroma and the feelings surrounding it; until recently I didn't have any luck.

Altho I am an cook by training with 20+ years in the restaraunt field I can't really bake to save my life. So many times my attempts to make homemade bread have failed; I couldn't even succeed with a bread machine!!

Until I found this recipe BASIC FRUGAL WHITE BREAD.
2 cups warm water
5 T white sugar or honey
1 1/2 tablespoons yeast
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup oil
5-6 cups flour
In a large bowl, dissolve the sugar in warm water: add yeast. Mix in salt and oil. Work in the flour until dough no longer looks wet. Knead on a floured surface until smooth. Place in a well oiled bowl, turning to coat dough with oil. Cover and allow to rise until doubles, about 1 hour.

Punch dough down. Knead again and divide in half. Shape into two loaves and place in well oiled loaf pan. Allow to rise for another hour.

Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes. Loaves with be golden brown and sound hollow when done.

This bread recipe as written has a sweeter flavor and is yummy with just butter/margarine on it. A nice thick slice makes great cinnamon toast.

No comments: